coat of arms of the municipality Chlumec nad Cidlinou

Chlumec nad Cidlinou

Chlumec nad Cidlinou is an old-fashioned city of East Bohemia, which lies where the Cidlina River meets the Bystřice. The surrounding landscape is gently wavy, alternating meadows with fields of grains, or fruit orchards and extensive forests and ponds. The greenery, which also takes up a significant part within the city, gives the city its nickname “City in the Gardens.”

The oldest preserved reference to the city dates back to the 12th century. Since 1611, the life of the city has been connected to the noble family, the Kinskys. Their residence, Karlova Koruna (Charles’ Crown) Chateau, built in 1721–1723 based on the plans of one of the most significant architects of Czech Baroque Jan Santini - Aichel, is the focal point of the city and surroundings. The city was written down in history with the defeat of the peasant rebellion in 1775, when the rioting peasants were cornered into the Velkochlumec Pond by the emperor’s troops. The event is commemorated by a Monument to Peasant Rebellions, which stands east of the city on top of a hill called Skalka.

The oldest architectural monument is the former parish, later on cemetery church of the Holy Trinity. It was built in 1134 in Romanesque style, later rebuilt in Gothic style. Its original form has been preserved in the city’s coat of arms. Klicper’s Square is dominated by the Gothic-Renaissance church of St. Voršily, built during the rule of the Pernštejns. A Marian Column stands on the east side of Chlumec’s square, which was commissioned by Václav Norbert Kinský in 1710, in honour of the victory of Emperor Joseph I and his allies over Ludwig XIV on the subject of Spanish heirloom. The former monastery Loreta, now serving as the city’s museum, stands north of the square.

Culture is provided to local inhabitants by the city library with an information centre, the music club Říha’s House, the Civic Centre and other city cultural centres. Klicper’s House offers a capacity of 232 seats in the main hall and smaller hall, and facilities for performers and visitors, which are all equipped with modern projection, theatre and lighting technology. Local inhabitants can use the playground, gym, indoor sports hall or bowling alley for sports. One cannot forget to mention the newly reconstructed bathing grounds with a 55 x 50 m swimming pool. Refreshments and accommodation are offered by several hotels, restaurants and pubs. Train and bus lines provide good transportation services.

Virtual tour

rop eu