Ohnišťany

The landscape in the surroundings of the village were settled already back in prehistoric times. It is proven by the crouched burial grounds, discovered in Strachova. In the 14th century, a medieval fortress was found in the village – the residence of the lairds of Ohnišťan. In 1462, the village was handed over to Jan of Pernštejn. In 1560, the village belonged to the Czech Crown and it remained a chamber estate until Marie Therezie took over. At the time, the Viennese Imperial office decided to conduct the so-called Raab’s reform. Within the scope of this reform, the Ohnišťan estate was divided up and Nové Ohnišťany were established on this land in 1771-1773. In 1972, Nové Ohnišťany was united with Starý Ohnišťany into one municipality. The entire chamber estate was not sold during Raab’s reforms and its remains were sold in 1824 to Josef Drexler of Pecky.

The focal point of the municipality is the church consecrated to St. Wenceslas, originally Gothic and later rebuilt in 1804 after an extensive fire. The settlement Paška and the hamlet Podlesí are a part of the municipality as well.

Virtual tour

Events calendar

(Česko zpívá koledy)

Masarykovo náměstí (Nový Bydžov)
12/9/2020 18:00 - 19:00

(Kantoři - vánoční koncert)

Jirásek Theatre (Nový Bydžov)
12/13/2020 17:00

(V listí - vernisáž výstavy)

Jirásek Theatre (Nový Bydžov)
12/15/2020 18:15

rop eu