Sights and museums

Among the most significant monuments of Chlumec is the chateau Karlova Koruna, built in 1721-1723 according to the plans of one of the most important architects of Czech Baroque, Jan Santini-Aichl. The chateau is the focal point of the city Chlumec nad Cidlinou. The oldest building monument in Chlumec is the former parish, later on graveyard church of the Holy Trinity. It was built in 1134 in Romanesque style and later rebuilt in Gothic style. Klicper’s Square is dominated by the Gothic-Renaissance church of St. Voršil, built during the reign of the Pernsteins. The Marian Plague Column stands on the eastern part of Chlumec’s square. It was built in 1710 by Václav Norbert Kinský in honour of the victory of Emperor Joseph I and his allies over Ludwig XIV in the battle over Spanish Succession. The former Loreta Monastery is located north of the square and now houses the City Museum.

Among other significant monuments of the region is the Early Baroque church of St. Wenceslas and Stanislav in Měník. The church was built in 1686 using “trhanice” – flat, narrow boards created from tearing the trunks of trees lengthwise. The church of St. Mary Magdalene stands in Nepolisy, which was built on the site of the former wooden church of St. Mary Magdalene from 1391. The municipality of Stará Voda is dominated by the Gothic brick church of St. Wenceslas, which was built in the second half of the 14th century, later renovated in Baroque style. The church includes a wooden belfry from the 16th century, in which the large and heavy Wenceslas bell hangs. Lučice is home to the Baroque church of St. Benedict from 1369. Today’s appearance was imprinted on it by the Baroque renovations conducted in 1718. A very valuable 16th century belfry with a bell from 1586 is found by the church. It is the only wooden building structure of its type in Bohemia with an open underpass ground floor.

Among the most noteworthy monuments in Nový Bydžov, which is worth visiting, is definitely the urban heritage zone established on a regular geometrical outline around 1305. The square of Nový Bydžov is found in the centre of the zone. Even the Gothic church of St. Lawrence has been preserved from this period with its prismal tower, which was added to the church later on. The gem of the square since 1865 is the Neo-Gothic City Hall built according to the plans of the Chlumec chateau architect Josef Míč. It was built on the site of the former Late Gothic city hall from 1461 and 1462.

The Marian Plague Column, the foundation of which dates back to 1697, was built in 1716. Later on, statues of saints were added to the niches – St. Joseph with Jesus, St. Ludmila, St. Sebastien and St. Francis. The collections of the City Museum housed in the Art Nouveau building of the former Art Nouveau savings bank of 1906-1907, have considerable art history value.

The Jewish cemetery was established behind the city walls in the southern part of the city in 1520. It is the third oldest in Bohemia following the Jewish cemetery in Prague and Kolín. The military cemetery from the Prussian-Austrian war in 1866 is found on the western edge of the city. The military cemetery was established on the site of a mass grave of Austrian, Saxon and Prussian soldiers, who passed away during this war as a result of injuries and cholera in the old hospital. The focal point of the Metličansky hillock is the Baroque church of St. Jacob the Elder, built in 1768-1775. Remains of the original 13th century Gothic church were used for its construction.

Among other noteworthy monuments of the region is the originally Romanesque church consecrated to St. Prokop in Staré Bydžov dating back to the 13th century. 

Chateau in Skřivany – originally a Renaissance fortress, which was reconstructed into a Renaissance chateau, later renovated in the English Neo-Gothic style. The Baroque chateau in Barchov, which is the oldest building in the municipality, was built in 1731 by Kryštof Norbert Voračický of Paběnice. Chateau Sloupno – in 1687, the original old Renaissance fortress from the middle of the 16th century was reconstructed into a Baroque chateau. Its present day appearance was imprinted on it by the reconstruction work conducted according to the plans of architect Kilián Ignác Dientzenhofer in 1748. Likewise, we cannot forget to mention the Late Baroque half-timbered church in Loučna Hora; however, it is not possible to provide any more information on its age as apart from several references, no documents have been preserved. The church received its present appearance from reconstruction conducted in 1778 – 1782. The wooden church consecrated to St. Marketa in Vysočany dates back to 1364. However, at the end of the 17th century it was reconstructed, but wood was used again as the building material of choice. 

Source: www.spolecnacidlina.cz

Search buildings

Coordinates: 
 
 

Search results

Memorial trees and groups of trees Memorial trees and groups of trees. (total: 3)
Klamoš linden tree - memorial tree. Klamoš linden tree - memorial tree
Address: Klamoš
(Lužní lesy Luhy)
Address: Chlumec nad Cidlinou
(Vojtěchův dub). (Vojtěchův dub)
Address: Skřivany
Plague, marian and trinity columns Plague, marian and trinity columns. (total: 2)
Chlumec nad Cidlinou - Marian Pillar. Chlumec nad Cidlinou - Marian Pillar
Address: Chlumec nad Cidlinou
Nový Bydžov - Plague pillar. Nový Bydžov - Plague pillar

Marian plague column with Baroque sculpture

Address: Nový Bydžov
Houses, palaces, fortresses Houses, palaces, fortresses. (total: 5)
Chlumec nad Cidlinou - town hall. Chlumec nad Cidlinou - town hall
Address: Klicperovo náměstí 64, Chlumec nad Cidlinou
Loreta municipal museum. Loreta municipal museum

In place of the originally planned Piarist monastery arose Loreta, a Baroque pilgrimage site. In 1740 a sacred foundation was established at Loreta for the purpose of supporting the Capuchin monk whose responsibility it was to hold a daily requiem mass for the deceased members of the Kinský family. In 1786 the pilgrimage site was abolished and in 1805 the chapel was torn down so it wouldn’t interfere with the practical use of the building: Loreta also served as a hospital, a poorhouse, and later also as a dwelling unit. The building has been a museum since 2001.

Address: Kozelkova 25/IV, Chlumec nad Cidlinou
Manor House - Majorát. Manor House - Majorát
Address: Klicperovo náměstí 1, Chlumec nad Cidlinou
Nový Bydžov - town hall. Nový Bydžov - town hall

Neo-Gothic building standing on the site of a former town hall and the neighbouring Hruškovsky House, built according to the plans of the Chlumec chateau builder Josef Míči.

Address: Masarykovo náměstí 1, Nový Bydžov
Palace of schools
Address: Kozelkova 123/IV, Chlumec nad Cidlinou
Jewish monuments Jewish monuments. (total: 3)
Chlumec nad Cidlinou - Jewish section of the town cemetery. Chlumec nad Cidlinou - Jewish section of the town cemetery

A Jewish section on the communal cemetery from the beginning of the 20th century.

Address: Chlumec nad Cidlinou
Nový Bydžov - synagogue. Nový Bydžov - synagogue

The synagogue and the cemetery are the only preserved parts of the ghetto. Today it is used as the chapel of the Evangelic church of the Bohemian Brethren.

Address: U Památníku č.p. 1156, Nový Bydžov
Nový Bydžov - Jewish cemetery. Nový Bydžov - Jewish cemetery

This Jewish cemetery is the third oldest in Bohemia. The oldest tombstone dates to 1577. There are 1480 tombstones, mostly from the 17th and 18th century. The tombstones are made mainly of sandstone and are decorated with relief symbols. There is also an interesting tombstone of Enoch Wolf, with a wolf relief. The newer graves (from the end of the 18th century) have typical bilingual – Hebrew and German – inscriptions.

Address: Nový Bydžov
Listed zones and reservations Listed zones and reservations. (total: 3)
Libeň - village monument zone. Libeň - village monument zone
Address: Libeň
Nový Bydžov - town monument zone. Nový Bydžov - town monument zone
Address: Nový Bydžov
Vysočany - village monument zone. Vysočany - village monument zone
Address: Nový Bydžov, Vysočany
Ruins Ruins. (total: 1)
Libeň - fortress

Terrain suggestions of a water fortress on the island in the middle of the pond. The only k nown owner of the fortress was Mikeš Pertold of Liben.

Address: Měník, Libeň
Chateaux and castles Chateaux and castles. (total: 7)
Charles' Crown - chateau. Charles' Crown - chateau

The Karlova Koruna Chateau was built as a summer residence in 1721-1723 by Count František Ferdinand Kinský – the highest chancellor and highest gamekeeper in the Czech Kingdom, according to the plan of one of the foremost Baroque builders, Jan Santini Aichel. Construction of the chateau took only three years. As a tribute and memorial to the coronation of Emperor Charles VI and his subsequent visits to the chateau in Chlumec nad Cidlinou the owner named it “Karlova Koruna.” The structure itself has a unique plan in the shape of a royal crown.

Address: Pražská 1, Chlumec nad Cidlinou
Chotělice - chateau. Chotělice - chateau

Count Mensdorf's spacious chateau - Pouilly with a park

Address: č.p. 89, Smidary, Chotělice
Hlušice - chateau. Hlušice - chateau

A storeyed chateau with a polygonal tower, decorated with a garret and high gables with castellation and turrets. Originally it was a Renaissance fortress from the 2nd half of the 16th century, which was reconstructed into an early Baroque chateau in the 17th century. In 1789 it was torn down and later rebuilt according to the design of E. Hall in 1852.

Address: Hlušice
Myštěves - chateau. Myštěves - chateau

Chateau from the 1st half of the 18th century. In 1901 it was reconstructed in pseudo-Baroque style by industrialist Gaston Malmann. The chateau is rectangualr in shape with a mansard roof. The main frontispiece is decorated by a dynamically modelled central buttress with a gable and arcade underpass.

Address: č.p. 105, Myštěves
Podlesí - chateau. Podlesí - chateau

Three-winged Neo-Gothic chateau, which is adorned by two corner towers (the right tower is octagonal, the left one is cylindrical with castellation).

Address: č.p. 83, Ohnišťany
Skřivany - chateau. Skřivany - chateau

Originally a Renaissance fortress, which was rebuilt into a Renaissance chateau, later reconstructed in the style of English Neo-Gothic.

Address: Tovární 1, Skřivany
Sloupno - chateau. Sloupno - chateau

Originally a fortress which was reconstructed into a baroque chateau in the 17th century according to the project of architect Kilian Ignac Dientzenhofer. The building was in the ownership of the Benedictines until 1948, later it served as a storage place for healthcare material.

Address: Sloupno
Memorials and monuments Memorials and monuments. (total: 3)
Chlumec nad Cidlinou - monument to the peasants' revolt. Chlumec nad Cidlinou - monument to the peasants' revolt

A statue of a rebel standing east of the town on a small knoll called “Skalka” was created as a memorial to the defeat of the peasant uprising in 1775. The phrase “we ended up like peasants at Chlumec” is still used today.

Address: Chlumec nad Cidlinou
Monument to Václav Kliment Klicper. Monument to Václav Kliment Klicper
Address: Chlumec nad Cidlinou
Petrovice - burial mound. Petrovice - burial mound

2 metre high mounds with a diameter of 15 m, several tens of them which are in good condiion.

Address: Petrovice
Church monuments Church monuments. (total: 25)
Church of St. Bartholomew. Church of St. Bartholomew
Address: Lovčice
Church of St. Benedict - church and wooden belfry. Church of St. Benedict - church and wooden belfry
Address: Chlumec nad Cidlinou, Lučice
Church of St. George. Church of St. George
Address: Smidary, Loučná Hora
Church of St. George. Church of St. George
Address: Lužec nad Cidlinou
Church of St. Lawrence. Church of St. Lawrence
Address: Nový Bydžov
Church of St. Marketa - church and wooden belfry. Church of St. Marketa - church and wooden belfry
Address: Nový Bydžov, Vysočany
Church of St. Mary Magdalene. Church of St. Mary Magdalene
Address: Nepolisy
Church of St Peter and Paul. Church of St Peter and Paul
Address: Babice
Church of St. Philip and Jacob. Church of St. Philip and Jacob
Address: Mlékosrby
Church of St. Prokop. Church of St. Prokop
Address: Starý Bydžov
Church of St. Stanislav. Church of St. Stanislav
Address: Smidary
Church of St. Ursula. Church of St. Ursula
Address: Chlumec nad Cidlinou
Church of St. Wenceslas. Church of St. Wenceslas
Address: Ohnišťany
Church of St. Wenceslas. Church of St. Wenceslas
Address: Stará Voda
Church of the Assumption of the Virgin Mary. Church of the Assumption of the Virgin Mary
Address: Petrovice
Holy Trinity Church. Holy Trinity Church
Address: Nový Bydžov
Holy Trinity Church. Holy Trinity Church
Address: Chlumec nad Cidlinou
(Hřbitovní kostel)
Address: Nový Bydžov-Skochovice
Hussite Congregation - church. Hussite Congregation - church
Address: Dr. M. Tyrše 110, Nový Bydžov
Hussite Congregation - church. Hussite Congregation - church
Address: Klicperovo náměstí 75, Chlumec nad Cidlinou
(Kostel Sedmibolestné Matky Boží). (Kostel Sedmibolestné Matky Boží)
Address: Nový Bydžov
(Kostel sv. Jakuba Většího). (Kostel sv. Jakuba Většího)
Address: Nový Bydžov, Metličany
(Kostel sv. Václava a Stanislava) - church and wooden belfry. (Kostel sv. Václava a Stanislava) - church and wooden belfry
Address: Měník
St Anne's Church. St Anne's Church
Address: Skřivany
St. Wenceslas Church. St. Wenceslas Church
Address: Hlušice
Nature monuments and reservations Nature monuments and reservations. (total: 1)
Pamětník - natural sight. Pamětník - natural sight

Manmade wetlands with an extensive variety flora and fauna

Address: Chlumec nad Cidlinou
Museums, galleries, and open-air museums Museums, galleries, and open-air museums. (total: 6)
Chlumecká garden railway - model railway, museum and educational trail. Chlumecká garden railway - model railway, museum and educational trail

Garden railway offers a total of 5 railway track gaugings (32, 45, 143,5, 250, 600 mm). Visitors can also take a walk along the trail which acquaints them with the Čiernohronska railway.

Address: Rooseveltova 249, Chlumec nad Cidlinou
Gallery at St. Jacob's - gallery. Gallery at St. Jacob's - gallery
Address: Nový Bydžov - Metličany
Gendarmerie in Chlumec nad Cidlinou - museum
Address: Boženy Němcové 35, Chlumec nad Cidlinou
Loreta municipal museum. Loreta municipal museum

In place of the originally planned Piarist monastery arose Loreta, a Baroque pilgrimage site. In 1740 a sacred foundation was established at Loreta for the purpose of supporting the Capuchin monk whose responsibility it was to hold a daily requiem mass for the deceased members of the Kinský family. In 1786 the pilgrimage site was abolished and in 1805 the chapel was torn down so it wouldn’t interfere with the practical use of the building: Loreta also served as a hospital, a poorhouse, and later also as a dwelling unit. The building has been a museum since 2001.

Address: Kozelkova 25/IV, Chlumec nad Cidlinou
Municipal museum Nový Bydžov. Municipal museum Nový Bydžov

The museum founded in the year 1888 occupies two floors of the art nouveau building of the savings bank in Masaryk Square. Apart from the historical museum exhibition, visitors can see the rich gallery of works of art from the 19th and 20th century, the permanent exhibition Bydžov known and unknown, and other thematic exhibitions regularly changed from its own funds.

Address: Boženy Němcové 507, Nový Bydžov
Stuchlík's Toy Museum. Stuchlík's Toy Museum
Address: U Mlýna 1437, Nový Bydžov

Events calendar

(Česko zpívá koledy)

Masarykovo náměstí (Nový Bydžov)
12/9/2020 18:00 - 19:00

(Kantoři - vánoční koncert)

Jirásek Theatre (Nový Bydžov)
12/13/2020 17:00

(V listí - vernisáž výstavy)

Jirásek Theatre (Nový Bydžov)
12/15/2020 18:15

rop eu